Monday, 24 August 2015

wishing my room was a movie


I'm currently focussing on actually sorting my room out, as it has had no real structure for the almost nine years I've lived in it. Growing up on teen movies means that I've always admired the cluttered yet almost neat appearance of every female character's room that I saw on the screen. Each surface seems to be decorated with junk that is so perfectly placed, it takes on a quirky vibe rather than looking messy. I've always attempted to achieve this but my visions fail, leaving me with an actual mess and no idea where anything is.

The majority of my time in the summer holidays has been spent watching movies, one in particular that I enjoyed more for aesthetic purposes rather than the actual film content (could I sound more pretentious???). Pretty in Pink, as with any John Hughes movie, has the whole '80's vibe' that I completely love. Although at the time of release the decor and fashion was simply current trends, it is now like a time capsule and I love imagining a time when the references and hair styles were fashionable rather than dated.

One of the characters in Pretty in Pink, Iona, has an every changing but always eccentric style that I admire. Despite my best wishes to be confident enough to wear anything even slightly outlandish, I always fail to have the guts so I admire people who aren't afraid to do so. Anyway, Iona's apartment completely matches her over the top style, and I was so obsessed with it that I decided to screenshot various aspects of the room.

I love how many colours there are as well as small details like vases of fake flowers, lava lamps and odd ornaments (including one of a rooster). It's a shame the scene in her apartment is so short because I feel like a lot of small details went into creating a room that was perfect for Iona's character. The more you look at the photos, the more weird decorations appear. My favourite details are the bright cushions which I have failed to find similar copies of on etsy so far.

This post was actually really fun to write although it felt similar to doing my art coursework.. I promise I'll post something more interesting soon but I kind of like the idea of my blog being my personal online scrapbook. Okay bye before I say anything else that's annoying.

5 comments:

  1. I loved reading this post! I also love the decor in Pretty in Pink, I spend most of the time watching it looking at the decor haha! xx
    Elise @ Peonies in Paris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yeah I think the fashion/decor outshone the actual plot ahhahaha
      <3

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh yes she had a great room. I love looking at the design of teen girl bedrooms in movies and shows. They make it reflect the character's personality so much. Like OF COURSE they would have a room like that. All of the clutter matches them!

    Peace & Love // Celestralite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally get me!! ;)
      Yes, it's one of my favourite things about teen movies haha, I think the room decor always says a lot about the character!
      <3

      Delete
  3. I watched Pretty in Pink for the first time this summer and I fell in love! Iona's style is so vibrant and bizarre, it gives off such a unique vibe that you can't help but love. Adored the film, I definitely want to check our more John Hughes' stuff. Lovely post Laura!!

    Nabeela xx
    http://nabsticle.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete