Monday, 3 February 2014

battle of the hydrating masks

Since I have extremely dry skin, I'm always on the lookout for hydrating and moisturising products that can hopefully solve this. I've been through countless treatments and masks that claim to have endless benefits to your skin when in reality they do more harm than good. However, when I stumbled across the 'Origins Drink Up Intensive overnight mask' I couldn't resist adding yet another one of these products to my ever-growing collection. As it is not exactly the most affordable brand out there, I decided to do my research (which thankfully was easy as there seemed to be a lot of reviews floating around the blogosphere at the time), and came to the conclusion that I needed it. After receiving a boots gift card for Christmas from my sister, I was able to justify the price and went ahead and purchased it. I can honestly say this is a life saver! I'm sure you've all heard enough about it, but the product itself is incredible and although the scent is a little strong, everything else about it is great. However now that I am gift card-less and attempting to save money, I'm not sure if I can justify spending over £20 for a new one once it runs out. This is what lead me to digging through my drawer to find a mask I mentioned in a boots haul a while ago (which you can read here although my photography and writing was even worse then.. just warning you). I realised that it may be interesting to compare them, as they both promise similar things, yet the Una Brennan mask is £8.99, a small fraction compared to Origins.
Packaging wise, I have to admit I prefer Origins, although the Una Brennan range does look very 'high end' considering how cheap it is. However, it also offers a whole 25ml more than the Origins mask, which is obviously a positive. It's not only cheaper but it smells better and you get more product for the price.
The 'Drink Up' mask include amazing ingredients such as plant glycerin, hyaluronic acid, apricot kernel oil, avocado oil, mango butters and Japanese seaweed. The instructions advise to massage onto clean skin at bedtime once or twice a week and to tissue off excess (something I never do as I find it does sink in quickly enough). This is probably why it works so well, the ingredients combined work miracles for your skin.
'Rose Hydrate' contains white willow extract (known to enhance skin cell turnover) vitamin E, urea and marshmallow extract to 'hydrate, plump and replenish skin'. The instructions are slightly different and encourage you to apply once or twice a week (again, to clean skin), leave for five minutes before removing using warm water of a soft flannel. I prefer leaving a mask on overnight, however I also think this method prevents it from clogging your pores.
Top - Una Brennan
 Bottem - Origins
The Origins mask wins on texture, being alot thicker, however the Una Brennan mask has a nice light consistency.
Overall I prefer the Origins mask, however if you're looking for a cheaper alternative, I recommend the Rose Hydrate mask from Una Brennan as it does work very well and is a lot easier on your bank account.

What products have you been loving lately?

14 comments:

  1. This is a great alternative, I love Origins but hate the price!

    Belle x
    Mascara & Maltesers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the products are amazing but so expensive!

      Delete
  2. Origins has such nice products! This one sounds great, especially since my skin has been more dry than ever with all of the cold weather we've had this year!

    Ivy xx
    Style Life Lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want them all,haha! I recommend it and I know, I hope we get some sun soon :D x

      Delete
  3. i absolutely loooove origins, lovely post xx

    Ruby
    rubys-eyes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's an amazing brand! thankyou :) xx

      Delete
  4. I can't believe I haven't tried the Origins, will need to pop out and get some!

    Jenn www.BarelyThereBeauty.com | UK Beauty Blog

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to! I'm sure you'll love the products although your bank account won't D: haha xx

      Delete
  5. I really like this post :) I don't usually have a skincare routine because my skin is oddly perfectly balanced between oily and dry, I have a rather overly dedicated bath and body works collection though :) lolol
    <3 victorique

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou so much! Ahh bath and body works, I'm so jealous! There isn't one in the UK :( xx

      Delete
  6. Id love to try out Origins, I'm yet to try out some of their masks but I do like the sound of the Drink Up mask. I've never tried Una Brennan either! although their products do sound lovely as well!

    Kathryn x
    effievanity.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the drink up mask is incredible, I really would recommend it :)
      I had never heard of them before coming across them on the boots website, but their products sound amazing! I'd love to try more xx

      Delete
  7. I have veeeery dry skin too, I also love Origins products. Maybe I should give this a try :)
    I've been loving lots of products lately and I actually recently posted my January favourites :p

    Alice x
    alzgalz.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's awful isn't it, especially at this time of year! I would recommend it :) and ooh I love favourites posts! I'll go have a look x

      Delete