Saturday, 21 September 2013

Beauty tip: why you shouldn't use carmex

Photo isn't mine! I don't have any Carmex to photograph, sorry!

Warning!!! I'm going to use the word 'lip' a lot in this post.. lip lip lip lip lip
When it comes to lip balms, I'm extremely fussy. I have very dry lips and I've been through every 'moisturising' lip product under the sun. Because of this, when I find a favourite, I stick to it.
This also means that I've been through my fair share of terrible products and one of those is Carmex. If I can pass on any advice, it would be to avoid Carmex at all costs. Why? Because it contains the one ingredient that should never be in any lip balm. Salicylic acid. Whilst this acid can be great on the skin (if you have oily skin) it's literally torture for your lips.
So why do Carmex use it? You may be wondering. They know for a fact how bad this ingredient can be, and that's exactly why they use it.
Basically, it's a marketing scheme.
The acid makes your lips peel which tricks you into thinking you need to use more lip balm, therefore you buy more. In some cases your lips don't star to peel until you've stopped using the product which convinces you that it works. It doesn't.
The worst thing is, this trick is used by many different companies! Next time you buy any kind of lip product, make sure that it doesn't contain Salicylic acid.
If you were wondering what products I do recommend, I 100% stand by the nivea lip balms. They're moisturising, simple, cheap and effective. They save my dry skin over and over again.

I hope you all enjoyed this short post, I know it was very negative but hopefully it can help you!
Thankyou for reading
Laura
<3

3 comments:

  1. This has completely shocked me! Carmex was an absolute holy grail product of mine and it really helps with cold sores. So glad I read this post - Thanks!
    Lots of love,
    Georgia | For the Love of Thrift
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if you need a replacement, I recommend blistex!
      Thankyou for the comment Georgia!
      <3

      Delete
  2. Oh my thanks for the heads up! I hate carmex but I never knew why - I do now!!

    ReplyDelete