Saturday, 16 February 2013

Review: Revlon ColorStay

Since about June last year I've been using the Revlon ColorStay foundation, and I think I've been using it long enough to have a proper opinion on it. This is my first review post so if there's anything else you'd like me to try/review then let me know!

When I set out to buy this product, I was looking for another foundation since my Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse was running out and I wanted to try something different.
The quality's I was searching for in a foundation was that it lasts all day and gives good coverage. I went onto Yahoo answers and this foundations was recommended to me five times, so I thought it would be a good product.
Before I bought this foundation, I had never used a Revlon Product before, so I was curious to see if they were any good. I went onto the boots website to read further into the foundation.
Most of the reviews were raving about the product, so I decided to try it out, and went into town the next day to purchase it.
One of the things that kind of put me off of the product before I even bought it, was the price.
It's around £12 and I normally only spend £7 or less on a foundation, so I was a little bit on the fence about whether I should buy it or not. But, the reviews were amazing so I decided to just go ahead and try it out.
One of the things that first attracted me to this foundation was that there is two different versions of it. One for combination/oily skin and one for normal/dry skin. I have very dry skin so I was excited to finally find a foundation that catered to my skin type.
Me, being an idiot accidently picked up the oily/combination one, and didn't realise until I got home. But, I didn't take it back and decided to just try it anyway.

Okay, so onto the packaging.
Revlon Colorstay Foundation comes in a clear glass bottle with a black lid. It's fairly heavy but it isn't so heavy that it would weigh your makeup bag down.
When I got home, I unscrewed the lid to find that there was no pump. It's literally just a bottle and you pour the foundation out.
This was an issue to me since I found myself always accidently pouring out too much foundation and it's a little bit of a hassle to get it back in, especially when you're in a rush on a morning.

The foundation smelled quite strongly of alcohol or cleaning products, which was a bit strange for a foundation, but I did get used to it after a while and it didn't smell that way once applied to the skin. (It wasn't a bad smell either, just a little bit weird).

The first time I used this product I didn't use concealer or primer. This was because I wanted to see if the foundation would last all day on it's own. So, I only wore powder on top. (The powder I used was Dream Matte Powder which has been discontinued! I am absolutely devastated it was amazing!)
Also, for anybody who's interested, I applied it using a sponge since my foundation brush was still drying.

The coverage was great! It looked good on my skin, and it didn't look too cakey and tacky.

The best thing about using this was that when I got home from school, it still looked the same! This was the main thing I had been looking for in a foundation so I was absolutely delighted when I saw it at the end of the day.

I went on using this for a while until I started to notice that my skin was gradually getting worse underneath the makeup. I started getting really bad spots and dry skin, so I decided to quit wearing it for a while.

For Christmas, I was given the version for dry skin and what I noticed was that even though they were both called ivory, the dry skin version was darker! My skin is incredibly pale so it was like choosing between drying out my skin or matching my skin tone.

At the end of the day, if you have sensitive skin, I don't recommend this foundation. It's nice for special occasions but for everyday use it may ruin your skin. It's not so terrible that I'm going to stop using it even though my bottle is half full but, I won't be re-purchasing it.

Sorry if this review wasn't any good, it's my first time!
If you have any tips/any other products that you would like me to try or blog about then just let me know via:

Ask FM: http://ask.fm/LauraMolloy651
Twitter: https://twitter.com/heytherelauraa
Tumblr: http://heyylauraaa.tumblr.com/
Instagram: http://instagram.com/heytherelauraa

Thanks for reading!
Laura xx



2 comments:

  1. i really wanted to try the revlon color stay, but like you the price kind of put me off! my skins dry too, and im really pale so i'm not sure if this would be for me after all! Great review!xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou so much for looking at my blog! omg you're lovely :D

      yeah haha, I wouldn't recommend it after my experience hehe

      aw thankyou! xx

      Delete